Brief History of Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships and Objective
Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships was established by Government of Canada (Vanier CGS) in 2008 to help reposition the ability of Canada to attract, harness and retain talented Post graduates (Doctoral) students.
Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS) program is administered by the Vanier-Banting Secretariat (the Secretariat) on behalf of Canada’s three federal granting agencies. The Secretariat is housed within the Canadian Institutes of Health Research in Canada.
The aim of Vanier Canada Graduates Scholarships is to establish Canada as a global Centre for academic Excellence in Research and Learning.
About Vanier Canada Scholarship
Host Institution: All Canadian Universities with Vanier CGS allocation.
Scholarship Country: Canada
Target Group: Canadian Citizens
Number of Scholarship: Up to 166 scholarships are awarded annually,
A total of up to 500 scholarships are active at any time
Duration: 3 years ( Non renewable)
Deadline: November, 2nd 2021.
Level of Study: PhD/DPhil programmes (or combined MA/PhD or MD/PhD) in health research, Natural Sciences, Engineering Research, Social Sciences and Humanities Research.
The scholarship is Scholarships are distributed equally between the three federal granting agencies:
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR)
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC)
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC)
Vanier scholarships is valued at $50,000 per year for (3) three years. None renewable.
You can also apply for the following scholarship opportunities:
Students/ scholars seeking for Vanier Scholarships should fulfil the following outlined criteria to be considered:
- You must be nominated by only one Canadian institution, which must have received a Vanier CGS quota;
- Must be pursuing your first doctoral degree (including joint undergraduate/graduate research program such as: MD/PhD, DVM/PhD, JD/PhD – if it has a demonstrated and significant research component). Note that only the PhD portion of a combined degree is eligible for funding;
- Intend to pursue, in the summer semester or the academic year following the announcement of results, full-time doctoral (or a joint graduate program such as: MD/PhD, DVM/PhD, JD/PhD) studies and research at the nominating institution; Note that only the PhD portion of a combined degree is eligible for funding;
- Should have completed no more than 20 months of doctoral studies as of 1 May 2022
- Have completed no more than 32 months of full-time study in their doctoral program, by 1 May 2022 if:
- Enrolled in a joint graduate research program, e.g., MD/PhD, MA/PhD, DVM/PhD. Applicants that fall into this category have access to the 32-month window whether or not they were previously enrolled in a Master’s program; or
- Accelerated directly from a Bachelor’s to a PhD (no time spent in a Master’s program); or
- Accelerated from a Master’s degree into a Doctoral program without obtaining the Master’s degree.
- You must have achieved a first-class average, as determined by your institution, in each of the last two years of full-time study or equivalent. Candidates are encouraged to contact the institution for its definition of a first-class average; and
- Must not hold, or have held, a doctoral-level scholarship or fellowship from CIHR, NSERC or SSHRC to undertake or complete a doctoral degree.
Each student must be nominated by one of the Canadian participating Institution. Candidates cannot apply directly to the Vanier CGS program.
You can only apply this scholarship either in one of two ways. Either the student informs the faculty of graduate studies at the selected institution of their intent to apply to the Vanier CGS program OR the institution initiates the nomination process by contacting the desired candidate.
Please kindly visit the official scholarship website for your application and further enquiries, you are expected to follow the application guidelines carefully and make sure you follow the steps as stated: Official Scholarship Website: http://www.vanier.gc.ca/en/home-accueil.html