The Mastercard Foundation Scholarship will provide scholarships to young Africans Students to pursue undergraduate and postgraduate studies at UCT.
MasterCard Foundation is in partnership with the University of Cape Town (UCT) to oversee the implementation of scholarship programme ie, financial, academic, social and post-graduation support to awarded candidates under the scholarship titled The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Cape Town South Africa. The idea of the Program is to change promising young people from beneficiaries to benefactors, prepare them with the necessary principles, knowledge, skills, and leadership to fuel economic and social progress across Africa and the world at large.
The Program targets rationally qualified undergraduates and postgraduates students who are economically disadvantaged young people with leadership prospective from Sub-Saharan Africa.
Mastercard Foundation seeks a world where everyone has equal opportunity to learn and thrive. We believe that with access to education, financial services, and skills training, people can have that chance. Our focus is helping economically disadvantaged young people in Africa to find opportunities to move themselves, their families, and their communities out of poverty to a better life
Mastercard-UCT Undergraduate and Postgraduate Scholarship
The Benefits of Mastercard-UCT Undergraduate and Postgraduate Scholarship
- Reimbursement of costs incurred for visa application processing
- An economy class air ticket to Cape Town South Africa for awardees who are i) citizens and/or residents of a Sub-Saharan country other than South Africa or ii) residing in South Africa but outside of Cape Town
- Full tuition fees and international student fees
- Accommodation in the student housing system at the University of Cape Town
- Meals through the student housing system at the University of Cape Town
- Medical cover with a recommended medical aid service provider
- A living stipend; to be used to cover ad hoc expenses pertaining to your studies
- A book allowance to purchase the prescribed textbooks required for your degree programme
- Costs related to community activities as prescribed by the MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Cape Town
- Access to an internship opportunity.
- An economy class air ticket home upon completion of studies, for awardees who are i) citizens of and/or residents of a Sub-Saharan country other than South Africa or ii) residing in South Africa but outside of Cape Town.
Students enrolled on the Program will receive Mentorship, Leadership Development, Academic and life skills support. Academic support will includes:
- Language Training
- Writing Circles and
- Guidance Counselling.
Scholarship Courses for Mastercard-UTC Undergraduate and Postgraduate Students
- Health Sciences
The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Cape Town, candidates must possess the followings:
- Academically talented, must value learning and be driven to complete their education.
- Economically disadvantaged and facing significant financial barriers to accessing education.
- Committed to giving back to their own communities once studies are completed, to return to their home countries and take a leadership role in promoting social and economic improvement.
- Future leaders committed to embracing ethical leadership to improve the lives of others.
- Commitment to community service through previous and/or past engagements with community outreach activities
- Citizens and residents of a Sub-Saharan African country.
- Wanting to study at undergraduate or postgraduate level (Masters by research and coursework or research Masters only). Honours applicants will be considered from 2016.
- All prospective Scholars (Students) must first be admitted to the University of Cape Town South Africa to be considered for the Scholarship. Although each academic department has its own criteria, a minimum of 60% for the Honours, or equivalent degree is the overall academic criterion required for entry into the Masters’ degree.
- Preference will be given to ‘first-generation’ students, i.e. those who are the first ones in their families to go to university.
Criteria for Selection:
- Applicants must have received a firm offer to study at UCT.
- Applicants must come from an economically disadvantaged background.
- Applicants must demonstrate leadership potentials and must have acted in a leadership capacity or its equivalent.
- Applicants must meet the set academic requirement.
How to Apply
Interested candidates will first apply for MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program, applicants must first apply to the University of Cape Town South Africa for academic study and placement. Candidates are advised to make contact with the relevant department that the academic application will be submitted to.
- Undergraduate. For Undergraduate application form, click here
- Postgraduate. For Undergraduate application form, click here
If you need Quality Business Plan for your business, project topic & materials, Laptops, All In One Computers, Investment Ideas, Business consultation etc. Call Us on 09038450128