Heinrich Boll Scholarships is awarded to international students who gained their university entrance qualification from a school outside of Germany who wish to study a Masters or PhD Degree in Germany. The böll Stiftung foundation annually offer this scholarship to encourage academic talented students. See also ARES Scholarships 2020/2021 in Belgium for Developing Countries
About Heinrich Boll Scholarships
The scholarship takes (holds) at State or state-recognized Universities in Germany, level and fields of study includes:- Masters Degree or PhD Degree in all subjects offered at state or state-recognised universities in Germany, for EU students, Master’s Degree courses at state or state-recognized universities in Germany, Switzerland, and other EU member states are possible. The number of scholarship to be awarded is not specified, the programme is targeted at international students, both EU and non-EU, who are not educated in Germany.
Scholarship Value, Benefits and Duration
Value of Master Degree Scholarships
Non-EU students: €850 per month plus various individual allowances; tuition fees are in certain cases possible in Germany.
EU students: varies, max. €649 plus €300 book money per month; tuition fees not possible in Germany but possible to a limited extent in other countries.
The scholarship is awarded for the regular period of study, may be extended by one semester. See also University of Amsterdam Scholarships for International Students
Value of PhD Studies:
Non-EU students: €1,200 per month plus €100 mobility allowance per month, plus various individual allowances; tuition fees are not possible.
EU students: €1350 per month basic scholarship plus €100 per month research costs allowance; tuition fees are not possible in Germany but possible to a limited extent in other countries.
The scholarship is awarded for two years as a rule, may be extended twice at most by half a year
Intending applicants must fulfill the following criteria:
International Master Students who earned their university entrance qualification outside Germany:
- You may apply before commencing your Masters programme or at any time up to the end of the first semester of the Masters programme.
- Proof of first professional qualification must be provided
International Doctoral (PhD) students who earned the university entrance qualification outside Germany:
- The applicant must have been accepted as a doctoral student by a state or state-recognized university in Germany. Proof of admission, as a rule in Germany, must be included with the application.
- By the application date, preliminary work must have been completed and a valid timetable for completion must be submitted.
- PhD subjects related to focal points of the Foundation’s activities will be given priority. See also Maastricht University Scholarship 2020/21 For International Students
For details of application requirements and procedures, please consult information sheet A 1-1 (“scholarship application for undergraduate and graduate students”, PDF) or A 2-1 (“scholarship application for doctoral studies”). The online application portal closes on 1 March at the latest.
Please kindly visit the official scholarship website for your application and further enquiries, you are expected to follow the application guidelines carefully and make sure you follow the steps as stated: https://www.boell.de/en/foundation/application