Gates Cambridge Scholarships programme was established in October 2000 by a donation of US$210m from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to the University of Cambridge; this is the largest ever single donation to a UK university.
Every year Gates Cambridge offers c.80 full-cost scholarships to outstanding students from countries outside the UK to pursue a full-time postgraduate degree in any subject available at the University of Cambridge.
Approximately two-thirds of these awards will be offered to PhD students, with approximately 25 awards available in the US round and 55 available in the International round. See also Boston University US$25,000 Presidential Scholarship for Nigeria and International Students 2020/2021
About Gates Cambridge Scholarships
There are at least 225 Scholars from c. 50 countries studying in Cambridge at any one time who pursue the full range of subjects available at the University and are spread across its departments and Colleges.
The Gates Cambridge Scholarships mission is to build a global network of future leaders committed to improving the lives of others. It aims to achieve this mission by selecting outstanding academic scholars, providing them with financial and non-financial support at one of the world’s leading universities and facilitating community building at and beyond Cambridge University. See also Nokia Foundation Scholarship
Scholarship Benefits and Value
A Gates Cambridge Scholarship covers the full cost of studying at Cambridge. It also provides additional, discretionary funding and;
- The University Composition Fee at the appropriate rate
- A maintenance allowance for a single student (£17,500 for 12 months at the 2020-21 rate; pro rata for courses shorter than 12 months) – for PhD scholars the award is for up to 4 years
- One economy single airfare at both the beginning and end of the course
- Inbound visa costs & the cost of the Immigration Health Surcharge
Note: The University Composition Fee varies for different types of students; applicants should see the Graduate Studies prospectus for full details about precise amounts. Where a student from the European Union has been successful in gaining a fees award from public authorities they must accept this and the Trust will not pay these fees.
Read about the full scholarship value at this link
You can apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarships if you are:
- A citizen of any country outside the United Kingdom
- Applying to pursue one of the following full-time residential courses of study at the University of Cambridge:
- One year postgraduate course
General Funding at Cambridge
Whether or not you are eligible for a Gates Cambridge Scholarships you may be eligible for other funding offered by the University of Cambridge. See www.student-funding.cam.ac.uk for more details.
Courses which are NOT eligible for Gates Cambridge Scholarships:
- Any Undergraduate degree such as BA (undergraduate) or BA affiliated (a second BA)
- Master of Business (MBA)
- Master of Finance (MFin)
- MBBChir Clinical Studies
- MD Doctor of Medicine degree (6 years, part-time)
- Graduate Course in Medicine (A101)
- Part-time degrees
- Non-degree courses
Gates cambridge scholarship Application
Gates Cambridge manages two selection rounds each year; full details are below.
If after reading the details below you are not sure in which round you should apply please email firstname.lastname@example.org with details.
Official Scholarship Website: http://www.gatescambridge.org/